Home (日本語)


+By article
+By author
+By issue
+By language
+By location
+By topic
+By year
+Random article
+What links here

Sister Sites

+Mind the Gap
+Portable Alien

Tsukuba Info

+City Hall
+Tsukuba Map
+Tsukuba Orientation
+Tsukuba Wiki

Support AT

+Advertise on AT
+Buy AT stuff
+Donate to AT
+Submit an article
+Take a survey

For Staff

+AT Workspace


+Contact us

National Health Insurance

Author: Shaney Crawford, Issue: May 2004, Topic: Medical, Insurance

If you are a foreign student or you are not receiving any income, please be sure to go to the National Health Insurance and Pension Division on the third floor of the Sakura Branch Office of City Hall to declare your income as zero as soon as possible. Students (and others who have no income) should do this between April and June *every year*, the earlier the better. If you forget to do this, you may get put into the wrong category and get billed the same amount as someone with a salary. If you have been here for more than one year and you haven't declared your income by June, you will be sent a letter (in Japanese) asking you to do so. It is best to go to the city hall before this letter arrives so that the calculations are done accurately this year.

Overview of National Health Insurance

If you have a full-time job, you will receive health benefits through your employer (shakai hoken). If you do not have a job (for example, if you are a student), you will be covered by the National Health Insurance Plan (kokuho). You must complete your alien registration and sign up for the insurance plan at the City Hall as soon as you arrive in Tsukuba.

If you are planning on leaving Tsukuba, please inform the National Health Insurance and Pension Division of the City Hall. You will be asked to submit forms for withdrawing from the National Health Insurance Plan if any of the following conditions are met.

  • You leave Japan permanently
  • You move to another city
  • You become enrolled in an employer's health insurance plan
  • Your visa (period of stay) has expired

National Health Insurance and Pension Division,
City of Tsukuba

<< Medical Recommendations: Dentists | Master Index | Eat My Meat! The Story of the Meat Guy >>

Alien Times Sponsors

The advertisements that appear on paper and online versions of The Alien Times do not necessarily represent the views of the Alien Times. The Alien Times takes no responsibility for any transactions that occur between advertisers and readers.

The authors of articles that appear in Alien Times reserve the right to copyright their work. Please DO NOT copy any articles that appear in Alien Times without first receiving permission from the author of the article (when known) or the Alien Times Editor.

Funded by the Tsukuba Expo'85 Memorial Foundation, Printed by Isebu