Home (日本語)


+By article
+By author
+By issue
+By language
+By location
+By topic
+By year
+Random article
+What links here

Sister Sites

+Mind the Gap
+Portable Alien

Tsukuba Info

+City Hall
+Tsukuba Map
+Tsukuba Orientation
+Tsukuba Wiki

Support AT

+Advertise on AT
+Buy AT stuff
+Donate to AT
+Submit an article
+Take a survey

For Staff

+AT Workspace


+Contact us

Prefecture Founds Legal Consultation Office

Author: Author unknown, Issue: June 1996, Topic: Advice, Legal

The Ibaraki International Association has recently begun a service for the foreign community to answer any questions foreigners might have concerning their legal status in Japan. Trained professionals are available for free, confidential legal advice over the phone on weekdays (except holidays) from 9 am to 4:30 at 029-244-3811 (in Mito). Help in English (and, of course, Japanese) is available everyday, and help in other languages is available part of the time. Those languages with fixed times include Bengali on Mondays and Thursdays, Portuguese on Tuesdays and Fridays and Chinese on Wednesdays. When requests come in for other languages such as Persian, Spanish, Thai, Korean and Tagalog (Filipino), arrangements can be made for a later date.

A typical question and its answer are as follows:

Q: I am a foreign student, studying at a local university. Do I need to get some sort of permission to take a part-time job?

A: It is essential. Under the terms of the Immigration Control Act, a foreign student or foreign resident engaged in "cultural activities", having the status of "college student" ("ryugaku") or "pre-college student" ("shugaku") must apply for and obtain permission in advance for any remunerative activity other than that permitted under his or her present status of residence.

Under the amendment to the Immigration Control Act, which came into effect in 1990, a student (or other foreign resident) wishing to engage in a paid activity other than that permitted in his or her present status, must apply for an additional status known as "Permission to Engage in an Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted" at the nearest immigration office (Hitachi or Tokyo). According to the new law, after such permission has been granted, a student is allowed to work up to a maximum of 4 hours per day (8 hours during summer vacation). Likewise, it should be mentioned that strict penalties against employers who hire foreigners without such permission have been instituted, with such employers being subject to up to three years imprisonment and/or a fine of up to 2 million yen.

<< Japan Association of Language Teachers: June 1996 | Master Index | Meeting for American (and un-American) Researchers >>

Alien Times Sponsors

The advertisements that appear on paper and online versions of The Alien Times do not necessarily represent the views of the Alien Times. The Alien Times takes no responsibility for any transactions that occur between advertisers and readers.

The authors of articles that appear in Alien Times reserve the right to copyright their work. Please DO NOT copy any articles that appear in Alien Times without first receiving permission from the author of the article (when known) or the Alien Times Editor.

Funded by the Tsukuba Expo'85 Memorial Foundation, Printed by Isebu